Sometimes we may realize that we do not need some app anymore. But the regular app removal on macOS does not entirely remove everything about the app – It just deleted the app but didn’t remove app preferences data, app caches, downloading files, and use history.
The worse is that you suddenly find the app is some malicious program that you cannot remove from your Mac computer. That’s why you need some advanced app uninstaller software to help you completely delete them.
We’ve reviewed more than 10 programs people use to remove apps on Mac computers. And by following some criteria, we finally picked out these top app uninstallers for you.
- Top 4 app uninstallers for Mac [Freeware Included]
- How to choose a qualified app uninstaller for Mac computer?
Top 4 app uninstallers for Mac [Freeware Included]
1. AppCleaner – Completely-free Mac app uninstaller
FreeMacSoft developed one popular free app remover for Mac users – AppCleaner. With this freeware, you can easily search the apps, plugins, and widgets you don’t want anymore, and completely remove them from your Mac. Besides, it allows you to simply drag and drop any unwanted app for swift uninstallation.
- Drag and Drop feature to quickly uninstall an app.
- This app is totally free to use.
- Recover the apps that you mistakenly deleted.
- The latest version 3.6 supports the latest macOS Monterey.
- It doesn’t have filters to get old and large apps.
- It has no filter to get and remove only the leftovers of missing apps.
- It can’t remove some apps and it shows these apps are protected.
2. AppZapper – perfect Mac app uninstaller
This software AppZapper has stood out amongst other uninstaller software for the macOS system because of its simplistic design and good capability of app removal. This software is also very deep with cleanups and can remove all unwanted apps and their settings, widgets, plugins, and so on. Just like AppCleaner, this software is also designed with the macOS drag and drop feature in mind.
- Drag and Drop feature.
- Nice filters to get large-sized apps and old apps.
- With “Undo” to get back the apps that you deleted mistakenly.
- It is not very simple to use. (the app icons so big)
- It can’t find only the leftovers.
- Its free version is limited with only 5 zaps (You can perform 5 apps removing with AppZapper). And the price is 19.95 and above.
- It doesn’t support Big Sur till now.
3. CleanMyMac – Remove Not Only App and App Leftovers.
CleanMyMac gives you a lot of features to free up space on Mac. And its Uninstaller Tool could be one of the best tools for uninstalling Mac apps. It is capable of performing the function of uninstalling applications and their related files just like other app removers we listed.
- CleanMyMac X is able to find and remove only the leftover files. And it also has various labels that help you easily find old and large apps.
- It provides several other useful features to clean your Mac storage to boost performance.
- This app can find duplicate files on your mac and help you get rid of them. Its user interface is also very well designed and you can figure everything out intuitively.
The trial version gives you only 2 applications removing for free.
This is another app remover for Mac computers. AppDelete is very thorough in removing applications from your mac, and this is one of its major strengths. Where other software might overlook, this software acts. This software can help remove widgets, screensavers, preference panes, widgets, plugins, app settings, and so on.
This application is also very flexible. It provides you with options as regards what to with the apps and files you want to remove. You can log such files, archive to a zip file, or completely remove such apps/files. Also, deleted apps are not removed straight away, but are kept in the recycle bin in case you made a mistake deletion.
Cons: This app is not a free one, and has a price of 5 – 7.99 dollars.
We didn’t cover all AppCleaner similar programs in this post, like the apps TrashMe, AppTrap, iTrash, and MacClean, since all of them are not freeware, and have almost the same features.
How to choose a qualified app uninstaller for Mac computer?
It’s easy to know what is an uninstaller app, but it may be hard to select one top uninstaller app for your Mac, which is a totally different ball game. So what are the factors and criteria you should consider when choosing a top app uninstaller for your Mac? Let’s check out the list below.
1. Level of App Cleanup
It is important for you to understand the level of cleanup that the software provides. Some software can remove all the files related to the unwanted app, while others just remove a few.
Also, some software cannot remove applications that run in the background. For the best App cleaning software, it should be in a top cleanup level to remove all leftover files.
2. Is It Safe to Use
Is it safe to use? You may ask this question before using a Mac uninstaller app. And this is one of the basic conditions all apps ought to have.
Actually, one app could be safe if the app has an official website with a real company address and online tech support, or it was recommended by some famous or trustworthy sites.
3. Computing Requirements
You can’t use a Mac uninstaller program if it is not compatible with your computer. Since all apps have basic requirements for the computer system, such as storage and system version, in order to run stably and use computing resources normally.
And the best app remover should be compatible with all the popular Mac OS, including the newest macOS Catalina and Big Sur. And we picked out the top app by following this criterion.
4. User Interface and Experience
You need to consider the user interface and experience of your desired uninstaller software.
If one app is poorly designed, it may cost you a lot of time to figure out how to use it. But as one of the top programs, it should be time-saving and highly effective.
Most of the time the best app is not the free one since the software vendors will cost a lot to hire people to design and develop.
You’d better know the cost of these programs and find the most cost-effective one. And be careful that some apps require a one-time purchase license while some others require periodic subscriptions.
Surely, there are some other factors you may consider while selecting a qualified mac app cleaner, including the customer service, the money-back policy, and so on.
There you have it, the top best app uninstaller for Mac We gathered since. We all need one of these programs on our computers in the new macOS Monterey as unwanted apps are inevitable. Selecting the best one for you should not be too much of a trouble, as this article has provided you with more than enough information to make the best decision.